Sunday, October 14, 2007

race for the cure walk

Me, Emma and a few of us from work participated in the race for the cure walk. Several of them worked last night and have to be back to work tonight. They are brave. I almost chickened out but am glad I didn't. I saw a woman with her pink shirt and bald head walking with her kids. I though about if that was me I would want people showing their support. Did you know that the survival rate is 98% because of the awareness that has been broadcast?
I had a pt the other morning (with a 6 day old baby) who came in with abdominal pain and because of the location we assumed it was gallstones. I had to leave before we found out the results, when I saw our doc this morning she told me the pt had metastatic ovarian cancer. The survival rate on this isn't high because by the time it's found it's in late stages. If found in early stages survival rate is about the same as breast cancer rates. So my point is, is that awareness is the key to helping cure/survive cancer. Thanks to everyone who walked or donated to the cause.

2 comments:

Grandma O said...

I am so glad that you and Emma did the walk. Because in our lifes we never know who or what type of cancer someone we love might get.

Unknown said...

Emma looks so cute. We enjoyed the walk also! It was a perfect day. A little crowded, but at least we didn't get too sweaty. hee hee....